Thursday, December 24, 2009

Second Life take 2

For those of you interested in viewing my talk in Second Life, you can watch it here on YouTube.

One of the key questions that arises for me is "How does the visual interface in Second Life affect interaction?" My initial feeling was that it adds a layer and increases the probability of confusion and that Skype, or even phone, despite the limitations, is more direct. The experience of others seems to be different. One person describes how he or she finds the visual interface better than the floating video head that one has in Skype or the disembodied voice over the phone.

This observation set me to thinking. Even though one has set up an avatar and one is meeting with another avatar, the visual interface and the action of two people meeting for a conversation has a potential for ritual that would be more difficult to create in Skype. For formal interviews, as in the Zen tradition, the Second Life setting may actually be richer.

Two other observations may be relevant.

In one session of the teacher development program I have just completed, I had the participants create masks and explore the difference between teaching (and interacting as a student) while wearing a mask and teaching and interacting while not wearing a mask. People's experience varied widely. Some simply couldn't teach if the student was wearing a mask. Others could. Some taught more naturally while wearing a mask. Others taught more naturally when they were not wearing a mask. In our discussion afterwards, I noted that in formal teaching situations in some traditions everyone is "wearing a mask". And, in some sense, we are always wearing a mask. From this perspective, the avatars are a form of mask and may enhance interaction for some just as the inhibit it for others.

Second, given how the human organism depends on visual and physical cues, many of them subliminal, the quality of communication deteriorates when those cues are not present. I certainly find this with phone conversations, and though I can tune into subtleties in voice and the general energy, I still feel that I'm missing a lot. This was confirmed by my interaction with one student. When I met with her in person, I was usually pretty accurate in my responses to her questions. But when we conversed over the phone, which was usually the case, I often found myself guessing as I was missing all the usual cues. She also noticed that my responses weren't as accurate over the phone.

Now, the physical cues supplied by an avatar bear only the most rudimentary correlation (if that) with the person's emotional state, but I'm wondering if the visual image itself facilitates a fuller interaction on levels that are hard to recognize or identify.

A final point. When two people converse, communication takes place not only at the verbal level, but also at the emotional level, as each is continually sensing and responding (or reacting) to the emotional energy in the other and in themselves. How does the Second Life interface affect the ability to sense emotional energy? Does the visual interface mislead or enhance the interaction?

Idle thoughts on Christmas Eve. Have a lovely holiday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post raises some very interesting questions.

Ritual and masks can facilitate interaction between the divine and the human, as in Greek drama. It is precisely because they block personal characteristics and facial expressions that an interaction can therefore be staged in which there is no object or subject, though duality is preserved in favor of an “impersonal” dialogue between Self and Other, Centre and Periphery, Actor and Audience, Teacher and Student. One mind.

In Zen, the rituals also divest us of particularity in this way, releasing extraordinary energy.

SL is one way for an avatara to spread the dharma in this so-called degenerate age.

Happy holidays to you too, Ken.

Ellen Fishman said...

How does the Second Life interface affect the ability to sense emotional energy? Does the visual interface mislead or enhance the interaction?

Watched some of the talk, the avatar was unnerving
for me to watch. I eventually just listened.

When I listened there was a distinct difference between the clarity of sound between your podcasts
and this talk . Not sure why but that in itself was a
negative effect.
The interaction that I garner form the podcasts and
Q & A sessions is much richer in emotional connectivity.
Your voice is full of loveliness= the prosody is more
compassionate , even though the meaning behind your words is important so is the intention to include the listener.
The listeners are present in many cases and I feel a greater joy on your part to experience with them.

As to visual interface, well anonymous does raise a
thought about releasing extraordinary energy when doing Zen rituals. Is that not similar to the "role playing" activity you have used ?

My concern would be the lack of direction that suchenergy could take without guidance from a teacher.